A form required for flood insurance rate determination and or occupancy permit.

If you have recently, or are planning to refinance your waterfront property, or are in the process of constructing a new structure thereon, than your lender, insurance agent, or inspector has probably required you to get an ‘Elevation Certificate‘. Your insurance company will not be able to provide a rate, and/or you will not get your final occupancy permit (where applicable) until you have acquired this. lt is required that these forms be completed by a Licensed Surveyor, Licensed Engineer, or Licensed Architect. Few, if any engineers or architects have the proper tools or comfort level to perform these tasks efficiently, thus making the surveyor a prime contact point for this product. These forms have beoome more prevalent every year since the mid-1990s, and hurricane Katrina motivated FEMAto up the ante even more. The process involves establishing a benchmark (usually via GPS [satellite] observation) on your property and acquiring specific height measurements of your home or property such as the elevation of the first livable floor and crawl spaoe/basement, garage slabs, appurtenant hardware (heat pumps, generators, etc) and other such key elements which might be damaged or lost in the event of a flood. Typically our fees can be recouped within 6-12 months based on a reduction in the insurance and assuming your structure is not within the flood plain. If it is found to be so, please remember that we are only the messengers.

Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA)

FEMA has a process by which a portion of property, or the structure thereon can be exempted (removed) from its national maps database. One such commonly used process and application is called a Letter Of Map Amendment (LOMA) In some circumstances it is generated in conjunction with the previously mentioned ‘Elevation Certificate‘. Often times, this application can be filed independently. Once removed, the portion of property or structure will no longer be scrutinized by the mapping clearing house which provide the insurance company with the red-flag of being subject to flood insurance. This is often recommended for the average, residential property. This process can often take three to six weeks to be processed. These forms require specific information to be gathered both on site and ‘of record’ in order to be processed and accepted by FEMA and related agents.